Power, ideology, representation, seduction, gaze, intertextuality, and multimodality. I do believe these elements along with Gude's hybridization, layering and appropriation elements to be of valuable study in the art realm. So frequently curriculum, lessons, and units can become so caught up in the sticky web of traditional elements and principles. However, I do believe that the traditional elements and principles have great value in introducing one to the art world where as the additional seven given by Duncum are great extensions upon a solid base.
Who is to say we shouldn't awaken students minds to the traditional elements/principles of art at a young age and then expand upon that understanding by diving into Duncum's Seven Principles for Visual Culture Education? The possibilities of this scaffolding are exciting. Yet, I cannot help but wonder... how does one continue the learning of artistic processes within his classroom? Yes they are researching, analyzing, noticing, generating ideas, and making movies...but what about the artistic processes? I feel the class described by Duncum would be a fantastic Visual Culture class that would greatly enhance ones artistic practices but I don't feel that it's place is necessarily in an Art Room.
Why? Because I want my students to spend just as much time generating their own ideas about the world around them as the time they devote to their artistic processes. I feel that putting so much concentration upon 7 concepts could be just as detrimental as creating a class that centers solely around the elements and principles of art. Yes, the elements and principles and Duncum's ideas are fabulous and should not be ignored, but they also should not be the center of attention. For the center of attention in an art room should revolve around the students artistic needs for expression and finding their niche within a world of so many mediums.
No comments:
Post a Comment