Feb 12, 2013

Developing a Repertoire of Skills for Visual Perception and Artistic Response





Documentary Film - Why The Arts Matter: Visual Art at Langley Fine Arts School

(14 minutes in length)

After searching long and hard for an inspiring article, I fell flat.  So instead, I have decided to share a short documentary with you about why art matters.  The documentary is told from the perspective of Langley Fine Arts students of all ages from Canada.  These students are living proof that art leads to the development of articulation, innovation, and expression.

Favorite Quotes about why art matters:

Art makes you feel "powerful and confident"

Allows you to "tell who you are and feel who you are and know what you love"

"I feel like I can do anything"

Art provides "rewards of thinking differently, seeing differently and understanding deeply"

Art is "about learning about yourself and expressing your personality"


The Carroll reading stresses on the value of "Drawing on Imagination, Memory, and Experience" and I feel that these students are living proof of these values.  These students have gone through the processes of using narrative impulses in art, creating from observation, and developing an array of visual arts vocabulary.  The results are zealous, articulate individuals with strong understandings of the visual arts and their place within its world.

They understand not only how to be successful in an academic art room but how to "Ping" those skills to others areas of their life, and perhaps more importantly, to the real world.  

1 comment:

  1. And, I have to add to your wonderful thinking that so many times, so many of those methods of teaching really intertwine themselves. Of course, we have to set the scene so that they can see the threads of thinking between each other. But it is so true that all of these modalities really lend themselves and sometimes rely on each other. Our art students will be able to synthesize like a Casio!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete