Mar 12, 2013

TIme: A response to Annette Lawrence


Kathy, I'm pleased you shared this artist with us.  As I began to explore the digital world of Annette Lawrence a flame of understanding was ignited.  Your explanation of her work was intriguing, but SEEING her work just seems to make perfect sense to me.  Our ENTIRE lives circulate around this idea of time and I find this Big Idea absolutely fascinating.  Sayings such as: "What a waste time" (giving time value), "I don't think I have time" (one can collect it), "I'm out of time" (one can loose time), "time goes on" (you are not necessary to time, but time is necessary to you).  

Metaphors for time that quickly come to mind include: 
1. my parents pond as it empties and fills with the passing of rains/droughts
2.  the carpet in my house as it goes from clean to dirty over the week
3.  my love for the shoes I'm wearing turning into dislike of them by the end of the day
4.  transforming from new to worn
5.  my basil herbs grow, I pick, and they regrow
6.  flowers in my kitchen go from freshly picked to wilted
7. the transformation of my confidence as a teacher from the start of the year to the end
8.  the wrinkles of skin
9.  the growth of hair
10.  the transformation of raw food to cooked food

I feel that the amount of objects that could be used to represent time are almost endless because there is nothing that I can think of that is not influenced by time. Growth, wear, tear, deterioration, maturation, and development all ride the same merry go round of reliance upon time.

I feel that the best evidence for my time spent past, present or future could visually be displayed through my lists.  I obsessively create lists about anything and everything; what I want to do, what I need to do, what I've already done....a collection of these lists would create a timeline of my life.  How I spent my time would be evident for when i accomplish something on my list I cross it out with pride.  The uncrossed words would even be a metaphor for unproductive days or laziness.  The wide variety of media used as a surface would represent where I was spending my time for I tend to use whatever surface is available to me within my location.

Accumulating these lists alongside photos taken with my cell phone could easily be a multimodal biography of my life...my time.

1 comment:

  1. Ali,
    Wow, now you have got me going too!! These are such timeless ideas....ha ha ha...and seriously interesting to work with.
    I was thinking of my skin as a map of time.

    I can see you turnng your idea into a stop motion, time lapst annimated movie.
    you can take your photos and scanned images of your lists and annimate them in After Effects or Imovie.

    ReplyDelete