Jun 4, 2013

6/4 Eisner

Chapters 3 and 4 from the Eisner text were a thorough recap of progressive, efficient, meaningful teaching tactics within the art room.  The importances of teaching art education (problem solving skills, articulating ideas, building imagination, assessment skills, technical skills, transforming ideas into communicated form, etc.).  I loved the two intro statements at the start of each of these chapters:

"Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as selling that does not promote buying."

&

"Students learn both more and less than they are taught."

A continuing theme throughout this text has been on the fact that the evidence of learning is so often evident much later on than the time of assessment.  It may be 3 weeks later or 3 years later that the information given to students in class becomes of use or truly resonates.  Both the Eisner and Freedman text circle around the idea of the "Two...most important factors affecting studnts' experiences in the classroom are the quality of teaching they encounter and the quality of the curriculum provided." pg. 46

The statement, "In a sense, all that teacher can do is to make noises in the environment." pg. 47 is comical.  Yet I do not believe it to be true.  If all I could do was make noise than I would dress as a monkey and run around the room chanting art facts, but I know this will not work and thus I am in grad school.

1 comment:

  1. "Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as selling that does not promote buying." I had the same quote written down from Eisner. How many times have we been sitting in a classroom and know that the teacher/professor is standing at the front of the room "teaching" us something, i.e. talking at us and expecting us to learn? If our students aren't learning, then we're not actually teaching. As art teachers, I feel like we have a bit of a leg up because we get to teach them how to make and create :)

    ReplyDelete