
My mind is blown by how rejuvenating, refreshing, and spiritual todays class was. Kuddos to the "Meaning" group! It had been so long since I had taken time for stillness to just contemplate my life, reflect upon where I've been, where I am and where I want to go. Today was full of self-exploration and reflection on the meaning of life.
Winnie the Pooh was one of my favorite characters growing up and as an adult I envy the time he takes to ponder and "think, think, think" about things. Sure he speaks and moves slowly, but at least he takes time for himself just to ponder the wonders of the world and all its miraculous possibilities.
We could use the activities mentioned in the portfolio section of Pink's book or take the activities completed in todays class and try them with our own students. Yet, more importantly, I believe we need to set the tone within our classroom for this growth to openly occur and this starts by posing a question. What is the meaning of life? (In this class we are going to explore many facets of the world surrounding us, but we are also simultaneously going to be exploring ourselves. It is crucial that you always wonder 'does this have meaning to me?' if not, how can I make this more meaningful?)
I believe meaning should be an open option for conversation within the art room, for we are meaning makers. Are we not? ;-)

I completely agree with you that from the beginning, we need to set the tone that meaning making is the forefront of our art.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said. Keeping an open conversation about meaning is crucial in our classrooms. The lesson you presented today is also a wonderful way to examine meaning. Your students are lucky to have you.
ReplyDelete