Jan 28, 2014

Prepwork for eyework: thinking about process for solving daily problems

What methods - and combinations of methods- do I use?
I encourage student reflections on what we are doing in class so I can read their perspective and use it to enhance my own self reflection on the teaching and learning within the classroom.

Short-term problem:  A student was struggling to put his laptop away during our "Welcome Warm-Up" (bell ringer)  I reminded the class as a whole, then pointed him out.  I then walked over by him to collect his computer and add it to my "see you soon" laptop drawer located by the door to the classroom.  Upon getting close to his table and everyone knowing what was coming, his classmate sitting at the same table began closing the screen.  The off task student began to object and his objection was heightened when the classmate completed the act of closing the computer screen all the way.  He seemed to loose control of his emotions momentarily and uttered a four letter word that starts with "F".  I asked him calmly to go out and wait for me in the hall.  I had never seen this type of behavior from this student and found it out of character.  After talking with him, I found out that he was at his wits end due to a day compact with bullies.  The student who closed his laptop had been picking on him at the start of class and he just got to a breaking point.  After talking more about the choices he had just made and other (better) options he has for the future we began to problem solve.  It was decided that he needed a new seat in the room, removed from the sarcastic personalities of his original seat.  We then went over the expectations (now set even higher for class than before due to his outburst and lack of ability to start class with following directions) for the remainder of the class.  We also covered consequences for the next outburst or failure to preform up to the expectations set.  Lastly, we set a new policy between us which consists of open communication when he is having a "bad" (almost at wits end) kind of day.  Open communication should allow us the opportunity to provide him with the environment that is best for him.

This was quick problem solving for what would make the student feel safe and thus be able to be productive in his learning process for the day and all other days to come.


Long-term problem: I am still struggling with time management between planning, grading, prepping, grad school work, research, time for my self, time to cook dinner, workout, socialize with friends and family, plan a wedding, complete pre-approval paperwork for first time homebuyers, search for a house, take care of my dog (properly=walks/frisbee/etc.) and plan a European honeymoon.

I have been trying to use my planner (agenda) more frequently to fit everything into a strict timeline.  It works well on paper, but not in the real world.  Why?  I wear out and get tired, businesses close, things take longer than expected causing other tasks to be pushed back.

I have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out the best routine for me... but this solving is still in process.



Comparison long-term to short-term problem solving:
Short term was quick, it was simple fast reflection between student and teacher that lead to a solution that could take place immediately and be repeated from now until the end of the semester.

Long term problem solving has taken hours of self reflection, list making, calendar creating, agenda making, prioritizing, ordering and re-ordering, and lots of barely scrapping by.  It is an on going forever changing solution that has to be based off of the current situation for the current day and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment