Apr 7, 2014

Childhood, Adolescence, the in between, and Adulthood

Series as a whole...well, as of now.  Is there ever really a whole self?



 
Childhood "young and free"



Adolescence "identity exploration"



The In Between "rising confidence"



Adulthood  "aging realizations, growing"


It took me a long time to figure out representations for the different stages of life, and even longer to determine what the in between space was.  However, once I decided to use story through images as my base it all came together rather quickly.  The in between space ended up being that time between high school and now where I am working full time and getting married.  Funny, I still do not feel like an adult.  It is such a mature word, grown word, rich word.  A word full of wisdom and experience which I do not feel I yet have.  However, whatever stage I am in there was definitely another hard to pinpoint with vocabulary stage between where I am now and where I was in high school.  I consider my adolescent years to be my high school years.  Blissfully naive in my own cookie cutter, black and white world.  Then, BAM, college hit.  I was suddenly shaken up to the point my previous walls were knocked down and the real world and all it's ugliness and truths swept in.  It was during this time that I discovered myself.  My true self.  Not the introverted, quiet, close minded person I was in high school.  But an outgoing, adventurous, open minded, positive, and confident individual who was ready to take over her life and mold it into her dreams.  There were crucial moments to this development and I remember them vividly.  First, was leaving my high school sweetheart of almost 10 years.  Never had I ever felt such relief and pride in myself for taking that bold step.  Second, I left the country for a summer to selfishly explore, travel, eat, make art, meet new people and cultures AND do all of this without a care in the world.  I had ALWAYS been worried about other people, making them happy and doing whats "right".  But there has to come a time where you throw all your preconceived notions to the wind and strictly listen to your gut and do what is right for Y-O-U.

Without this part of my life, I never would have made it to where I am today.  I would never have found confidence in my artwork, my knowledge, my voice.  I never would have found myself and all the wonderful bits and pieces to my life today that I hold so dearly to my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Alison. So good to know you through your profile on the blooger. I am also glad to stop by your blog "Ali's Creative Exhange" and the post on it " Childhood, Adolensence, the in between and Adulthood". Youur blog gives me an opportunity to share with you about one kindness act in honor of Stuart who went to be with the Lord. We have an out reach ministry in the slums of Mumbai amongst poorest of poor. We have a nutrition program for the malnurished childrfen in the slum. We will feed children who are malnurished in kindness and in honor of Stuart. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35 yrs in this great city of Mumbai, India a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short/ long term missions trip to come and work with us in the slums of Mumbai. We would love to have you come to Mumbai on a short term missions trip to do some kind work in honor of Stuart. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, These are wonderfully poetic, as are you my dear! I enjoyed reading your writing and I am convinced you are going to continue to shape and mold an amazing life for yourself.

    ReplyDelete