Sep 9, 2011

Week 3 & 4: Reflection on "Being an Adolescent"

Adolescents = drama drama drama!  Adolescents today are consumed with facebook, texting, twitter, and being connected with their friends/families 24/7.  Due to the ease of fast communication via technology, they probably communicate more than any other generation before...but they probably have the least amount of face to face interactions than any pervious generation.  They are so very connected to the world due to internet, television and cell phones...but do they take advantage of this access to international news/issues?  Are they voicing their opinions and fighting for what they believe in?  I'm not sure.  They have all the tools necessary to really make a difference...but I don't believe that is how they view these tools.  Technology is more for entertainment, socializing and sharing photos.

After reading Speak I am reminded of how adolescents are consumed by the surrounding drama.  They have large insecurities and stressors.  I wonder how, as an educator, I'm going to be able to crack through all of those adolescent weights bogging them down and be able to impact them...teach them.  I feel that we will succeed as educators as long as we remember the complexity of their lives.  Instead of cursing their distractedness...maybe give them a place within their school where they can unload these complexities onto a canvas/paper/etc.  

2 comments:

  1. I don't know that is only adolescents that are consumed by drama. Think of what we encounter daily; the news, celebrities, magazines, Facebook, television, and advertisements. It's not only hormone-filled adolescents that are consumed by drama, but all of us as Americans. By incorporating these aspects into your lessons, you can make it more interesting for your students and then it will no longer be a concern in your classroom, but rather a tool to use for instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belinda Smith13 September, 2011

    Sadara and Ali--Both of you have real insight in your statement that suggests engaging students in making art that expresses all of their personal feelings, etc...that will be your or actually their tool for artmaking and your tool for instruction!!!

    ReplyDelete