I am greatly impressed with the pace of today and level of high cognitive thinking that was nurtured throughout the entire class. Kuddos to the symphony group today! You kept the class moving throughout the entire class without the lag of downtime. You all kept the presentation talking portion to the bare essentials allowing us classmates to instead learn through experience, thus forming our own stories of understanding. Pink, Freedman, and Eisner would all be proud. :-)
The similarities between Pink's Symphony and Howard Gardner's Synthesizing are great. I love the idea of thinking of these topics as being able to "see the big picture". I feel that this is a metaphor that even students as young as 5th grade are capable of understanding. Teaching students to see the big picture can be done through teaching students to use a conceptual art process. Students connect ideas of the class to themselves and then butcher their connections down to the essentials needed to create a visual. This process requires symphony, requires seeing the big picture, requires synthesizing.
Pink's connection of symphony to drawing was an "aha" moment for me. I knew everything he wrote about drawing, but I had never thought of it as relationships. I've just thought of it as a way of seeing...but explaining drawing as relationships between shapes, light, value, eye-hand coordination, etc. makes complete sense to me. Perhaps students will more receptive to such an approach to drawing.
Pink also discusses "boundary crossers" who are able to utilize information from multiple sections of their intelligence. We need to encourage students to independently integrate the knowledge given to them. This can be done by asking juicy questions, reminding students to utilize ALL their learning, and to model this behavior within our teaching.
The similarities between Pink's Symphony and Howard Gardner's Synthesizing are great. I love the idea of thinking of these topics as being able to "see the big picture". I feel that this is a metaphor that even students as young as 5th grade are capable of understanding. Teaching students to see the big picture can be done through teaching students to use a conceptual art process. Students connect ideas of the class to themselves and then butcher their connections down to the essentials needed to create a visual. This process requires symphony, requires seeing the big picture, requires synthesizing.
Pink's connection of symphony to drawing was an "aha" moment for me. I knew everything he wrote about drawing, but I had never thought of it as relationships. I've just thought of it as a way of seeing...but explaining drawing as relationships between shapes, light, value, eye-hand coordination, etc. makes complete sense to me. Perhaps students will more receptive to such an approach to drawing.
Pink also discusses "boundary crossers" who are able to utilize information from multiple sections of their intelligence. We need to encourage students to independently integrate the knowledge given to them. This can be done by asking juicy questions, reminding students to utilize ALL their learning, and to model this behavior within our teaching.
I had a similar reaction when reading Pink's experiences with his drawing class. I had always THOUGHT about drawing in that way, but Pink really gave MEANING to my thoughts, if that makes sense - he put it into words that made sense! I agree that students may be more receptive to an approach like this.
ReplyDelete