Jun 12, 2013

Story

I LOVED the activity today when you divided the class into groups of 3, had us pull out a phone with video capability, and asked us to tell a story about the 10 second slides shown.  It was challenging, but fun.  The slides were so incredibly different from one another that it encouraged silly ridiculousness, of which I love.  I also enjoyed having most of the class time to create art that tells my own personal story.

Pink talks a lot about how story is emotional.  The group today made both of their activities emotional. The first was extremely funny and therefore made you feel emotionally happy.  The second was so personal that it required emotion from your own life to convey your story.  Just look at the different styles we had today.  Some were childlike, others serious, and others (Amy) very funny!  Each project conveyed an emotional attachment one has to their story.

I've never thought about story's place within the business world, but after reading the chapter in Pink it makes complete sense.  Particularly in regard to health care and marketing.  Dentists, doctors, and vets whom I enjoy working with and tend to revisit all share the trait of being a listener to stories and of telling their own.  Marketers who reach your heart are far more likely to have hooked a sale than those who don't.

In art, I see story as a vital tool to be frequently used to personalize assignments for students.  Everyone has their own narrative to tell and each is different.  What a fabulous resource for artwork since we already strive for our students to create unique works.  Using personal stories will guarantee this.

Another idea that I love thinking about is how universal the story is.  They are found within every culture and all ages enjoy a great story.  Story telling aka the movie business is a multi-million dollar business...and all they do is tell stories.  There are many times when I'm in a theater with a mix of ages that I am entertained by the idea that we all revert back to our inner child when we see a movie.  All we want is to be entertained by the journey on the screen....very similarly to a child who wants their bedtime story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment