Jan 28, 2014

Prepwork for Headwork: thinking about myself as a researcher

Who am I to be doing this research?

I am a teacher stuck with curriculum that does give my students a fluid, well aligned and reinforced learning experience.  I have my BA in Art Education and am currently working on my Masters in Art Education.  I am a passionate teacher who wants the best for my students and feels the need to research both curriculum and assessment methods for Art I Foundations.


Where did my ideas/strategies come from?

"Image storming" is a process for inspiring...  idea storming both independently and collaboratively with colleagues has lead to many discussions about tensions, and reflections on what is/is not working.  This idea storming is a result of these conversations and is the problem solving piece to the puzzle.


My learner heritage:
I grew up in Liberty, MO which is just 15 minutes from the high school I teach at  now.  The size of the schools are comparable now, but when I was growing up Liberty was tremendously over crowded.  The town itself was compact, little traffic, very few crowds outside of the high school, and everyone seemed to know everyone.  Where as my students live in a bustling area of shopping, dining, and entertainment.  Public transit stops line the streets surrounding the school and neighborhoods are surrounded by commercial businesses.  Everything is landlocked with population growth.

The diversity of my schools growing up were predominantly white caucasian with relatively low diversity stats compared to those of the my students school.

The schools artifact would most definitely be their mascot, the Northman.  A big burly strong bearded, white lumberjack who wears a flannel shirt and always carries his axe.  This symbol is a representation of strength...but lacks in representing much more than a unifying symbol of school spirit.  He is not much admired or relatable to the diverse student population of the school today.

No comments:

Post a Comment