Feb 2, 2014

Mindwork: Explore Trial Questions

What assessment methods have already been used within my district for the visual arts?

What assessment methods are currently in practice in the art rooms of Missouri? Of our country?

What assessment methods are currently in practice in other parts of the world?

Do standardized assessments provide the most beneficial feedback to both student and teacher?

What do students learn from taking a standardized assessment?

What should students gain from an assessment?

What should teachers gain from testing students?

Which methods can be tested in the classroom this year?
      Which methods will have to wait to be tested until next year?

Will the other Art I teachers be willing to experiment with a variety of assessment methods?

What are the perspectives of my colleagues (administrators, students, parents) on this topic?  Do they want change as much as I do?

Could I use a poll or survey to gain insight into other perspectives on the topic?

Does the assessment used across the district have to yield the same product?

Does the assessment used across the district have to be turned into numbers?

What do the students learn from these numbers?

How can they use the numbers for reflective purposes?

How can teachers receive the results of the assessment more quickly in order to immediately integrate needed changes or reviewing for each class?

Will these assessments be used to assess teachers?

What is the goal of an all district assessment?

What do we want out of the assessment?

How often should these across district assessments occur?

How do we prepare students for these across district assessments?

Can the assessment be replaced with an all district "art show" for only Art I students where they have to display their work complete with an artist statement for each work?

Would others shoot this down as too time consuming?  Just another extra duty for teachers?

How can I open the minds of the close-minded?


My questioning seems to range from assessment methods, to assessment purpose, to what students and teachers gain from current assessment methods, and questions on how to implement these ideas.  Trying to choose just one question to focus in upon is SO HARD!  For one question is fluidly linked to the next. If I had to summarize my thinking into one solid question it might be something like:

-  What assessment method can be used to test Art I Foundations students across the district while providing rich learning and feedback opportunities for both student, teacher and administration in a timely manner?

YIKES!  That is scary putting it all in one question, for it is so HUGE!

Now to define...
     -  assessment method: the design, function and outcome of a test
     -  Art I Foundations students:  freshman through seniors in the intro to visual arts class
     -  the district:  North Kansas City High School, Staley High School, Oak Park High School, and Winnetonka High School
     -  rich learning opportunities:  an experience for the student use knowledge gained over time simultaneously in hopes of reinforcing connections between knowledge taught in class
     -  rich feedback opportunities: information that can be immediately applied to both student and teacher reflection to improve classroom knowledge and experiences
     -  teacher: instructor of the Art I Foundations course
     - administration: Principles, Ass. Principles, Art District Coordinator, Superintendent
     -timely manner:  less than 5 day turn around for results


No comments:

Post a Comment