Jun 11, 2013

Design

Woop woop for our Design group!  Based off of the fabulously impressive billboards all you fellow classmates came up with today I conclude that today was a success!  Pink brings up several VITAL important points when discussing design: universal, functional, profitable, ever changing, meeting the interests of others, accessible, making history, cultural, surrounds everyone all the time, can cross into the art world, good/bad design impacts our well being, and MANY more.

I want to be sure to give my own students the opportunity to think like designers so they can distinguish between art and design.  Perhaps more relevant to their lives I want my students to be aware of the design elements that surround them so they can be educated on design purchases/influences within their own lives.

Referring back to the chapters read in Eisner and Freedman, design also relates to curriculum and the American school structure as a whole.  The buildings, the rooms, the lessons, the curriculum, the schedules...all of these are individual designs that work together to create our current school environments/norms/teachings.  I loved the idea brought up in Eisner about allowing individual communities to develop their own curriculum based on the culture, needs, and interests of the area.  How amazing it would be to have such a diversity within our educational system.  People would live in places specifically for the "specialty" skills being taught at individual schools.  (Similar to the idea of the CHAD school mentioned in Pink)

The future requires we nurture students with sk


ill sets that cannot be replicated through a computer system and sent over seas.  What better answer than to have specialty schools where parents/students can choose their type of specialty; Art focus, design focus, creative science focus, creative writing focus, etc.

I am utterly fascinated by the possibilities!



                                                                              

2 comments:

  1. I also think today was very successful! Great job! And I neer really thought about it, but when I read it and when you all brought it up, that we are surrounded by design, every where, even the chairs and tables we sit at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same, it was one of the "a ha" moments in the Pink text. Design is so frequent that I tend to forget about how much I appreciate great design.

    ReplyDelete